Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Accidental Date

Friday: I'm sitting home alone, by choice. I have a couple of phone numbers guys have given me, neither which I've ever called, and one of them messages me and asks for my phone number. Reluctantly I give it to him (which is VERY MUCH unlike me ... I'm usually the caller and don't share my number). He calls and asks what my plans are for tomorrow. I tell him. He invites himself along and proceeds to include going out to lunch prior to what I've already scheduled. He says he drops his daughters off at noon Saturday and will contact me afterwards to work out the details for where we'll meet. We exchange a few text messages bordering on flirtation.

My phone rings at 11 p.m. I'm sleeping so I only hear two rings. By the time I answer it the line is dead. I look at the caller ID ... it's the accidental date for tomorrow. I roll over, curse myself for ever giving him my number and go back to sleep.

Noon Saturday: Nothing.

1 p.m.: I'm confused and ready to walk out the door. I text message him, "Not sure how many times phone rang, was asleep, heard two, line was dead when I answered. Sorry!"

He texts back, "No prob. It was kinda late."

My thoughts: NO FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1:30 p.m.: I text him again, "I'm guessing you made other plans?"

He texts back, "Mike called in sick so I had to work. Kids still at my house. Trying to hurry."

My thoughts: WHO THE FUCK IS MIKE? DO I CARE? AND WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

1:45 p.m.: He calls. He has no idea when he's getting off work, and wants to know what my plans are for tonight. I tell him I've called a couple of friends and that will depend on what we decide to do. He asks for a rain-check. I tell him sure. He starts telling me a looooooooong story about his psycho ex-girlfriend. I interrupt, tell him it's too nice of a day to stay inside, which is likely why "Mike" called in sick to work, and I really need to get ahold of my friends to see what we're doing. I tell him to have a nice day.

My thoughts: WTF??? I'm dressed, I'm ready, the plans I made were alone but now I don't feel like being alone so I madly dial the numbers of a couple of good friends. The problem is, other NORMAL people have made plans for the day at this point. I'm off to explore something, somewhere alone ... which is what I had planned on to begin with.

The moral of the story: NEVER, EVER, get caught up in an accidental date!

No comments: